Welcome to the Mayor's Blog Page!

City of Meridian Blogs

Linder Road Street Lighting

 Permanent link

by the Meridian Public Works Department


This summer, Linder Road will be getting some much needed improvements between Pine Avenue and Cherry Lane. The City of Meridian will be installing new street lighting along the west side of the roadway to make the walk to school safer for area children. Lighting along Linder Road is currently spotty at best making it difficult for children bound for Meridian High School to see and to be seen by motorists. The walk to school for many attending Meridian High begins around 7 AM, well before the sun has even risen during the fall and winter. Add to the large number of pedestrians early morning commute traffic, school buses, and garbage trucks and you have a very busy section of roadway.


This street lighting project was approved by the City Council last year and was timed to compliment the Ada County Highway District’s widening of the Pine/Linder intersection. Construction of the street lighting project and the widening of the Pine/Linder intersection project are expected to be complete prior to the start of school in the late summer. This will also provide for better handling of detour traffic expected once Meridian Road construction begins in October. It should also be noted that a new pedestrian activated signal is being installed just north of Pine, where the entrance to Meridian High School and West State Street meet Linder Road. This will make crossing the newly widened Linder Road much easier and safer for Meridian High students.


Looking into the future, additional street lighting is in the planning stages for other sections of North Linder Road that see heavy pedestrian traffic. These include the area in front of Rocky Mountain High School and the section of Linder between McMillan and Cherry for Sawtooth and Meridian Middle School students. If you know of a street that you think could benefit from additional street lighting, contact the Public Works Department at 898-5500– we want to hear from you!


All About Temporary Use Permits

 Permanent link

Temporary uses are regulated in the City of Meridian for the purpose of protecting the health, safety and welfare of Meridian residents while also encouraging those uses that complement permanent City of Meridian businesses.  The City wishes to have safe, attractive and desirable temporary uses that add variety to the shopping and/or dining opportunities in Meridian and that also support and facilitate community events and celebrations.  Below are a few commonly asked questions regarding outdoor sales and temporary uses:

Q: What do I need to do in order to close the street for my temporary use?

A: If you wish to close a street or sidewalk, affect traffic flow, or create a greater-than-usual demand on City services, you will want to obtain a Citizen’s Use Permit.  This permit assists the highway district and the Police and Fire Departments a chance to review your plans to ensure the safety of our public.

Q: I am planning a big family reunion in my backyard.  Do I need a permit?

A: A private party on land that is not open to the general public generally does not require a Temporary Use Permit.  But if the use will affect traffic flow or require the provision of City services over and above that which is normally provided, you will want to obtain a Citizen’s Use Permit.

Q: My event will occur entirely in a park.  Do I still need a Temporary Use Permit, or can I just get approval from the Parks & Recreation Department?

A: Our City Code says that all persons wishing to have a temporary use, even in a park, need to obtain a general Temporary Use Permit (TUP) from the Clerk’s Office.  The Clerk’s Office will route your TUP application to the Parks & Recreation Department for review and approval – but please note that this process may not ensure availability of a park shelter or facility.  To reserve a shelter or facility for your event, please call the Parks & Recreation Department at (208) 888-3579.

The City Clerk’s office is continually looking for ways that we can improve and streamline our application process.  If you are considering holding a special event or having a temporary sales unit, please call our offices at 888-4433 and we will be happy to help you through the application process.